What is a Micro Endoscopic Posterior Cervical Discectomy?
When discs in the neck become damaged for any number of reasons, they can herniate and cause immense pain through the neck, back, shoulders and arms. A Micro Endoscopic Posterior Cervical Discectomy is a minimally invasive procedure that can remove the damaged portion of the disc that bulges against the nerve root and causes pain. The patient lies face down under anesthesia while a small incision is made in the neck over the herniated disc. From there, the surgeon can access the affected area and perform the procedure.
Some of the benefits associated with a Micro Endoscopic Posterior Cervical Discectomy include:
- Regained mobility that may have been lost due to the intense pressure on the nerve root
- Fast pain relief due to our minimally invasive surgical techniques requiring much smaller incisions. These state-of-the-art techniques generally lead to less scarring, less blood loss, minimal trauma to surrounding areas and shortened recovery times.
- Generally considered an outpatient procedure, requiring only a small bandage over the incision post-surgery.
Our Treatment Approach
Minimally Invasive SpineCARE performs all Micro Endoscopic Posterior Cervical Discectomy procedures with the latest technology and tools available. A general outline of this minimally invasive surgery includes:
- Dilation tubes are inserted into the small incision and used to gently push tissue aside to create a clear pathway to the vertebrae.
- A tubular retractor is placed over the dilation tubes and a tiny camera, light and surgical equipment enable the surgeon to carefully navigate to the spine. Once there, they can expose the irritated nerve root and herniated portion of the disc.
- Using a laser, the surgeon will clear the area and remove the herniated area of the disc to relieve pressure on the nerve root.
Because of our expertise in minimally invasive surgical methods, only small incisions are made. This incision requires only a BAND-AID® and many patients report immediate pain relief after surgery. Another benefit of our minimally invasive surgeries is that recovery times are usually much quicker – Allowing the patient to return to their daily life considerably sooner.
Advantages of Minimally Invasive Surgery
- 45,000 satisfied patients
- 98% satisfaction rate
- 3mm incision
- Less scarring
- Less blood loss
- Faster recovery time
- Shorter hospital stay
- Increased safety for patient
- Board-certified surgeons