There’s no better way to transform healthcare and usher in new standards than by offering compassionate, personalized experience through comprehensive, effective medical attention.
Dr. Douglas Won is a dual fellowship-trained physician and Board-certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgeons. He provides the most comprehensive methods of minimally invasive and endoscopic laser spine surgeries available through its Laser Spine & Orthopedics® division. His groundbreaking LuMINI™ Micro Invasive procedure makes use of the smallest incision of any similar technique of its kind and has been lauded as one of the most advanced treatments available today.
Soon after emigrating from South Korea to Irving, Texas, I first took an interest in spine surgery when my father had to undergo four back surgeries. Unfortunately, he suffered complications that prolonged his hospital stay. During my summer break from school, I stayed at the hospital and took around-the-clock care of him. It was then that I realized I wanted to go into spine surgery to improve these procedures and how we care for patients.
After completing medical school at the University of Texas at Galveston, Dr. Won finished his residency at Washington University in St. Louis. He completed dual fellowship training, focused on cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine, in degenerations and deformities of the spine as well as minimally invasive spine surgery. This has been recognized as the highest level in spine surgery training. He remains active in the research and development of innovative spine care and in using advancing technology to create personalized treatment plans for cervical, thoracic and lumbar disorders. In addition, Dr. Won has a great deal of experience treating work-related injuries and understands there are required protocols when dealing with workers’ compensation / non-subscriber patients.
Though 95% of Dr. Won’s patients improve through nonsurgical treatment, he was the first surgeon in Texas to perform endoscopic laser surgery with a 3mm incision. This outpatient procedure revolutionizes spinal surgery by allowing the patient to walk out of the surgery center in only a few hours and with just a BAND-AID® over their incision. Dr. Won is the most experienced minimally invasive spine surgeon in North Texas and continues to provide comprehensive minimally invasive solutions for a variety of spine disorders. He holds multiple patents and works closely with the medical industry to build new and innovative minimally invasive spine devices.
About Dr. Won
- Completed undergraduate studies at Northwestern University
- Graduated from medical school at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston
- Completed Orthopedic Surgery residency at Washington University in St. Louis
- Completed spine surgery fellowship at William Beaumont Spine Center
- Finished second fellowship in cervical spine and deformities of the spine at Washington University in St. Louis
- Member of the Society for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery, North American Spine Society and the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Chosen as Super Doctor by Texas Monthly and as one of America’s Top Orthopedist/Spine Surgeons by Research Consumers’ Council of America
- Frequently appears as a medical expert for ABC-WFAA-TV, CBS Radio, The Marty Griffin Show on 1080 KRLD, Sunday Morning Magazine with Mark Willis on 103.7 KVIL and 106.7 KDL
- In his free time, Dr. Won is active in martial arts and is a second-degree Black belt; he also enjoys swing and salsa dancing, tennis, hiking, skiing, indoor rock climbing, music and golf